The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. ... Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
--Martin Luther King Jr. from Where Do We Go From Here (1967)
Home » mlk » Words of Wisdom On This Day
Monday, January 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search
Popular Posts
-
And all I got was... was... oh no. I forgot to pick up the complimentary "I Survived Orlando MegaCon 2014" t-shirt! :( On the ...
-
For some reason, the YouTube I found for this time doesn't have an embed option. Ah well, here's Country Joe McDonald ! What the he...
-
This is, as noted before , the 100-year anniversary of the first year of World War I. History is made of competing forces. Between the Grea...
-
This is a busy month of events, I tell you what: Note to self: if I ever win the Presidency, NEVER EVER PUT MY BRO BRUTUS ON THE SECRET SERV...
-
Ah, to revel in the geekdom of comic books, science fiction and fantasy, costume roleplay, gaming, and walking. Lots and lots of walking. S...
-
It looks a lot like this : Yet Terry Jones, the pastor who organized a mock trial that ended with the burning of a Koran and led to violen...
-
So, as I've laid it out this year considering James David Barber's Presidential Character , how did it all play out? Active-Neg...
-
What does it tell you when the opposition party plans not one but THREE separate presentations against the President's annual State of t...
-
Or, as Andrew Sullivan is fond of paraphrasing it: Meep Meep . It's difficult, but not impossible, to speak on a sitting President's...
-
Lo and behold, post about veep selections and ye shall receive. Mitt Romney goes and selects Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) to be his...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(51)
-
▼
January
(9)
- To Tunisa... To Egypt... To Where
- Here Comes The State of the Union
- Because No One Demanded It... A Revised Lost Batta...
- Words of Wisdom On This Day
- The Chart That Ought To Scare The Crap Out of Poli...
- I Link to Things I Like
- Blood On The Streets of Tuscon AZ
- That Wasn't Me Doing the Heckling
- Today Is Different, Because Today Really Sucks
-
▼
January
(9)
No comments:
Post a Comment