Also known as "oh no, we got a homework assignment on Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan."
Ta-Nehisi Coates, boss of bosses, has decreed that the Lost Battalion of the Horde should read Leviathan next as our social project of the season. Hobbes is in the grouping of must-read political thinkers as Locke and Rousseau: Leviathan is spoken of as the serious tract on politics compared to the borderline satire of Machiavelli's Prince.
That said, as a librarian I heartily recommend everyone wanting to keep up with TNC's reading project to ask your local library for a copy of Leviathan for check out. Better still, for those of you with ereader devices or a budding ebook collection should visit Project Gutenberg and download an ebook copy (most ereader formats available)!
To the bookshelves, Horde!
Home » social contract » Reading The Beast of Political Thought
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search
Popular Posts
-
And all I got was... was... oh no. I forgot to pick up the complimentary "I Survived Orlando MegaCon 2014" t-shirt! :( On the ...
-
This is, as noted before , the 100-year anniversary of the first year of World War I. History is made of competing forces. Between the Grea...
-
For some reason, the YouTube I found for this time doesn't have an embed option. Ah well, here's Country Joe McDonald ! What the he...
-
It looks a lot like this : Yet Terry Jones, the pastor who organized a mock trial that ended with the burning of a Koran and led to violen...
-
Ah, to revel in the geekdom of comic books, science fiction and fantasy, costume roleplay, gaming, and walking. Lots and lots of walking. S...
-
What does it tell you when the opposition party plans not one but THREE separate presentations against the President's annual State of t...
-
Or, as Andrew Sullivan is fond of paraphrasing it: Meep Meep . It's difficult, but not impossible, to speak on a sitting President's...
-
Lo and behold, post about veep selections and ye shall receive. Mitt Romney goes and selects Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) to be his...
-
This is a busy month of events, I tell you what: Note to self: if I ever win the Presidency, NEVER EVER PUT MY BRO BRUTUS ON THE SECRET SERV...
-
(see Update below) So forty-seven U.S. Senators went and did a thing this weekend, where they sent a rather demeaning and error-filled lette...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(185)
-
▼
January
(13)
- Reading The Beast of Political Thought
- Presidential Character: Week Four, Wrong Man Wrong...
- Inauguration Day 2013
- Presidential Character: Week Three, It's All Jeffe...
- When Bills Are Passing The House Despite the Majority
- I Take It These People Never Studied 19th Century ...
- Presidential Character: Week Two, Always Second
- Here's a First: a Poll
- My Two Cents On The Platinum Coin (Yeah, I Went Th...
- Presidential Character: Week One, Guess Who
- Will a Cat Picture on Caturday Suffice?
- A Follow-Up About Utopianism (Apparently That Is a...
- It's a New Year. I Need Resolutions.
-
▼
January
(13)
No comments:
Post a Comment