Being a little bit distracted by such things as job-hunting and moving to new job, it took a link I got today from a friend to a photolog on The Atlantic's website of major events of 1963.
That was a huge year in a lot of ways. The Civil Rights movement that started in earnest back in the mid-1950s was in high gear by 1963: King's "I Have A Dream" speech, the Birmingham protests, the assassination of Medgar Evers, the bombing of a church killing four girls. The fighting in Vietnam picking up, and political upheaval leading up to a military coup. The space race now with a woman cosmonaut going up. Two James Bond movies. Two Beatles albums. A television show on the BBC about a gent and some companions traveling the universe in a blue box. And then JFK in Dallas.
So expect a lot of anniversary notices to come and go. Mostly go, I might lose track of things now I'm working full-time (yes I will keep bragging about this for the next four years to overcompensate).
Oh, and this is also the 150th year anniversary of 1863, a big year of American History with the Civil War ongoing. Expect me to get all fangirly near about July 2nd (Day Two of Gettysburg)...
Home » history » The Atlantic Just Reminded Me This Is an Anniversary Year
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
The Atlantic Just Reminded Me This Is an Anniversary Year
mintu | 5:19 PM | 1863 | 1963 | anniversaries | history
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search
Popular Posts
-
And all I got was... was... oh no. I forgot to pick up the complimentary "I Survived Orlando MegaCon 2014" t-shirt! :( On the ...
-
This is, as noted before , the 100-year anniversary of the first year of World War I. History is made of competing forces. Between the Grea...
-
It looks a lot like this : Yet Terry Jones, the pastor who organized a mock trial that ended with the burning of a Koran and led to violen...
-
For some reason, the YouTube I found for this time doesn't have an embed option. Ah well, here's Country Joe McDonald ! What the he...
-
Ah, to revel in the geekdom of comic books, science fiction and fantasy, costume roleplay, gaming, and walking. Lots and lots of walking. S...
-
I mentioned earlier there is a special election (even with the regular election still nine months away) being held to fill the vacancy for ...
-
What does it tell you when the opposition party plans not one but THREE separate presentations against the President's annual State of t...
-
Or, as Andrew Sullivan is fond of paraphrasing it: Meep Meep . It's difficult, but not impossible, to speak on a sitting President's...
-
Lo and behold, post about veep selections and ye shall receive. Mitt Romney goes and selects Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) to be his...
-
(see Update below) So forty-seven U.S. Senators went and did a thing this weekend, where they sent a rather demeaning and error-filled lette...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(185)
-
▼
February
(8)
- Presidential Character: Week Eight, Tough Act to F...
- The Atlantic Just Reminded Me This Is an Anniversa...
- Presidential Character: Week Seven, With All Apolo...
- Wouldn't You Know It, the Busiest Weekend of My Li...
- Presidential Character: Week Six, The Gathering Storm
- The Difference Between a Recession and a Depression
- What Is Needed To Fix Florida's (and the Nation's)...
- Presidential Character: Week Five, The Unknown
-
▼
February
(8)
No comments:
Post a Comment